If you are in the market for a home appliance or if you want to remodel your house, Home Depot is one of the best places to shop. It has one of the largest range of products and supplies you will find anywhere.
While Home Depot is famous for its low prices in general, there are many ways to get an even better deal.
You can save money at Home Depot by knowing the markdown price codes and stacking multiple discounts one on top of another to amplify your discount. For example, you can use a cash back credit card (discount number 1) to pay for a discounted Home Depot gift card (discount number 2).
Then use that gift card to pay for a discounted product (discount number 3) at Home Depot while using a discount coupon (discount number 4). In this way, you are combining 4 discounts by stacking one on top of another.
Before you pull out your wallet and spend money at Home Depot, make sure you go over the money saving tips in this article.
|Method||Discount / Saving|
|Return Dead Plants 1 Year After Purchase||100% Refund|
|Home Depot Garden Club||$5 off|
|Ask for a Price Match||Various discounts|
|Home Depot Savings Center||Up to 40% Off|
|Home Depot Special Values Section||Up to 40% Off|
|Ask for a Discount||Up to $50|
|Sales Price Ending in “6” Is Not Final||Various discounts|
|Sales Price Ending in “3” Is Final||Various discounts|
|4th of July Sale||Up To 40% Off|
|Memorial Day & Labor Day Sales||Up To 40% Off|
|Black Friday Sale||50% Off or More|
|Kitchen & Bath Event||Up To 40% Off|
|Pro Xtra Offers & Paint Rewards||Up To 20% Off|
|Volume Pricing Program (VPP)||8% - 20% Off|
|Bulk Pricing||5% - 30% Off|
|Home Depot Email List||$5 Off + Various Discounts|
|Get Coupon Booklet at Home Depot Store||Various Discounts|
|Get Military Discounts||10% Off|
|Buy “Oops Paints”||Up To 70% Off|
|Aisle End Caps Clearance Items||50% Off or More|
|Holiday Clearance Section||Up To 90% Off|
|“1-Day Savings” Deals in Stores||Up To 50% Off|
|Leftover Raw Lumber||Up To 70% Off|
|Home Depot Rebate Center||Up To $4,000 in Rebates|
|Home Depot Subscription Service||5% Off|
|Use Lowe’s Coupon in USPS Mover’s Packet||10% Off|
|Buy Discount Coupons at eBay||10% - 15% Off|
|Home Depot Tax Exempt ID||Up To 13.5% Off|
|Discounted Home Depot Gift Cards||Up To 5% Off|
|Use Cash Back Credit Cards||Up To 5% Off|
|Get Your Tools Repaired||Free|
|Buy Large Wood Board & Get It Cut||Free|
1. Know the Markdown Price Codes
Learning to read the secret code of Home Depot price tags will give you a leg up on getting the best discounts on the products there.
Any item with a sales price that ends in a “6” will be discounted again 6 weeks after its original markdown date, typically to about half the amount of the discounted price ending in a “6.” These prices are typically printed on a yellow price tag. You can find the original markdown date in the lower right corner of the price tag.
For example, you may see an item that you like on sale for the price of $24.86. In the lower corner of the yellow price tag, you see the date “04/ 28/ 21.” It means that on “09/ 06/ 21,” 6 weeks after its initial markdown date of “04/ 28/ 21,” this item will be discounted again, typically to about half of its previous price.
So, if you are willing to wait for a bit, you can possibly get this item for an extra 50% off, for around $14.43 in our example.
But of course, if you do decide to wait, there is always the risk that the product you want will be sold out before it is discounted again. So, be mindful of that.
Any item with a sales price that ends in a “3” will not be discounted again. Its current price is the lowest price Home Depot will ever go on this item. If you want this item, just buy it now. There is no reason to wait for any further discount.
2. Ask Employees for a Discount
Many users on the Internet have reported that they have managed to get a discount at Home Depot just by asking.
It turns out that Home Depot allows its frontline employees to offer discounts of up to $50 without seeking approval from their supervisors.
So, next time when you are at Home Depot and want to buy something, just seek out an associate and ask for a discount. You will be pleasantly surprised by the result.
3. Use Price Match
Home Depot offers a price match guarantee for both online and in-store purchases.
- Online Purchase Price Match: This price match guarantee includes both the price of the item and any shipping cost applicable. So, if Amazon charges $1,000 for a washing machine plus $150 for shipping, the final $1,150 price is the price that Home Depot will match for online purchases. The price match item must be available from the competitor to ship to your location. Home Depot will only honor requests submitted directly from the person who made the purchase. To get a price match for your online order, you need to call up the Home Depot customer service number at 1 (800) 466-3337 and talk to a service rep about your price match request
- In-store Purchase Price Match: For any product that Home Depot sells in its stores, if you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any other retailer, Home Depot will match that lower price. Just bring the ad, printout, or photo with you to the register and ask for a price match. The Home Depot associate may contact the other retailer to verify its price
Keep in mind that this price match guarantee does not just apply to the direct competitors of Home Depot such as Lowe’s, Ace Hardware, True Value, and Menards. It applies to all retailers. So, feel free to ask Home Depot to price match Walmart, Target, Amazon, or even grocery stores.
4. Check the Savings Center
The Home Depot website has a special section called the Savings Center. It gathers in one place various discounts in nearly every department including appliances, hardware, electrical, bath, kitchen, outdoors, and storage.
The discounts you get at the Savings Center typically range from 10% to 30%, but occasionally you can find discounts of as much as 40%.
Most deals are available for both in-store pickup and delivery. Many items, including some that are very heavy, come with free delivery.
For example, this Marble Bathroom Vanity with a Ceramic Sink that weighs a hefty 150 lbs is on sale at the Savings Center for $540, 40% off its original price of $900. But what makes this an even better deal is that you get free shipping with it.
The Savings Center is full of amazing deals like this.
There are a few special sections within the Savings Centers that are also worth checking out:
- Special Buys: Special Buys are products that Home Depot does not normally carry but is making an exception for because it can offer them at a special discount. For these special buys, you can expect discounts of 10% to 30%, with occasional deals going up to 40%. Most special buys come with free shipping
- Special Buy of the Day: Special Buy of the Day changes every day. Like other Special Buys, expect discounts of 10% to 30% with occasional deals going up to 40%. All Special Buy of the Day comes with free shipping. If you see something you like in this section, grab it. Products here are only discounted for 24 hours
- Home Décor Special Buy Of The Week: This Special Buy section focuses on furniture, ceramics, cutlery, glassware, lighting fixtures, mats, rugs, and other home decoration products. All deals you see here are online only. Discounts range from 10% to 30%. You also get free shipping on all the products in this section
- Pro Special Buy of the Week: The Pro Special Buy of the Week is a special buy that is targeted at professional home builders and contractors. But you do not need to be a pro to take advantage of this deal. Discounts range from 20% to 40%, but sometimes you get up to 50% off here. You also get free shipping. For example, this Pro Special Buy of the Week Undermount Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink is on sale at 48% off plus free shipping
- New Lower Price: These are newly discounted products. They may or may not be further discounted in the future (see the section below.) The discounts you get here are not as good as those in the other sections of the Savings Center – they typically range from 5% to 20%, but occasionally you may see something discounted by up to 35%. You get free shipping on some of the deals here, but for many other products, you have to pay standard shipping
- Overstock: In the Overstock section, you will likely find products that are the most heavily discounted. Unlike those in the New Lower Price section, a lot of the products in the Overstock section are not likely to get further discounts. So, if you see something you like here, you better grab it before it is gone. Typical discounts here range from 25% to over 40%. Most products here also come with free shipping
5. Check Special Values Section
The Special Values section is another place on the Home Depot website to find amazing discounts and deals.
This section includes special promotional products by various manufacturers and items that are on Temporary Price Reduction.
At the time of writing, both DEWALT and Milwaukee Tool are running special promotional events. You can see their special deals on tools in this Special Value section. Many deals here are also exclusive to Home Depot.
Most Special Value products are available for both in-store pickup and delivery. Many items, even including some that are very heavy, come with free delivery.
Similar to the Savings Center, items in the Special Values section are typically discounted in the range of 10% to 30%, although occasionally you will see discounts as high as 40%.
For example, this Samsung Stainless Steel Gas Range with Convection Oven is on sale at $750, a 32% discount on its original price of $1,100. And you even get free shipping thrown in, despite the more than 210 lbs weight of this gas range.
6. Wait for July 4th Sale
Home Depot calls its 4th of July sale the “Red, White, and Blue Sale.”
This sale is one of the best times to buy discounted patio furniture such as chairs, tables, string lights, outdoor rugs, and more.
You will also find many discounts on grills, smokers, lawn mowers, refrigerators, paints, and other summer essentials.
The discounts can go as high as 40%. The Red, White, and Blue Sale typically lasts 10 days with the 4th of July falling somewhere in the middle of it. For example, the sale may run from June 29 to July 8 or July 1 to July 10, depending on what day of the week the 4th of July falls.
7. Look for Memorial Day & Labor Day Sales
Home Depot saves its biggest discounts on paints for its Memorial Day Sale and Labor Day Sale.
You can typically expect up to $10 off for a 1-gallon can of paint and up to $40 for a 5-gallon bucket of paint.
Discounts on other items are also sizable and can go as high as 40%. You will typically find deals in the categories of gardening, appliances, tools, patios, storage, and furniture.
The Memorial Day Sale and Labor Day Sale usually last 3 days each, so plan accordingly.
8. Go for Black Friday Sale
While the Black Friday Sales at many retailers seem downright perfunctory these days, Black Friday at Home Depot is one of the few Black Friday events that are still worth braving the crowd for.
The Home Depot Black Friday Sale is the best time to buy Christmas décors such as Christmas trees and poinsettias. Past Black Friday deals include $79 for a 7.5 feet Christmas tree that normally went for $229, a discount of more than 65%.
Other common Black Friday deals include power tools from DEWALT, RIGID, Dremel, and Bosch, as well as various types of flooring.
Most Black Friday deals at Home Depot offer discounts of at least 50%. If you only attend one sale at Home Depot each year, make it the Black Friday Sale.
9. Discount on Kitchen & Bath Event
Home Depot’s Kitchen and Bath Event takes place from mid-January to mid-March every year.
During this event, you will see discounts of up to 40% on countless products for the kitchen and bathroom, such as cabinets, counter tops, sinks, faucets, tableware, cooking utensils, fridges, appliances, bath vanities, toilets, shower heads, and more.
If you are in the market for kitchen or bathroom products, you might want to wait for this event before you pull the trigger on your order.
10. Pro Xtra Offers & Paint Rewards
The Pro Xtra program at Home Depot is a loyalty program specifically designed for professional builders and contractors. But you do not need to be a pro to join. Anyone can join this program and it is free to join.
As a member of the Pro Xtra, you will receive a lot of benefits. Many of them are designed for professionals, such as purchase tracking and using text messages to authorize employees to make in-store purchases. But 2 benefits are discounts that will benefit anyone, pro or not:
- Paint Rewards: You get discounts of up to 20% on paints, stains, and primers for both in-store and online purchases
- Exclusive Offers: You get members-only deals and offers on products and services sent to you through email, direct mail, and the message center of the Pro Xtra mobile app
To join the Pro Xtra program:
- Go to its homepage
- Click on the Join Now button
- Fill out the application form
- Click Register for Pro Xtra
- You are all set
11. VPP (Volume Pricing Program)
The Volume Pricing Program (VPP) at Home Depot is a discount program based on volume – the more you spend, the better the discount you get.
Some people, especially Home Depot employees, also refer to the VPP discounts as “Bid Room” discounts.
While the VPP is targeted at the professional home builders and contractors who frequent Home Depot, you do not need to be a pro to take advantage of the discounts here.
Anyone can get a discount using the VPP. All you need is to spend at least $1,500 on one order.
Before you can take advantage of the VPP, you have to be a member of the Pro Xtra loyalty program at Home. To join the Pro Xtra program, see the section above.
To get VPP discounts, follow these steps:
- Shop in a store – the VPP discount is only available for in-store orders
- Assemble your order list
- Make sure your order adds up to at least $1,500
- Take your order list to the Pro Desk, also known as the Bid Desk, inside the Home Depot store
- Give your order list to a Pro associate at the Pro Desk
- Your Pro associate will then submit your order list to the corporate office to get a price quote
- Within a few hours, you will be given a quote for your order. Typically, your quote will represent a discount of 8% to 12% on the retail prices
The discounts you get from the VPP can vary a lot depending on the profit margins on the items you are buying. Lighting fixtures, for example, tend to have high profit margins.
As a result, you will likely get a higher VPP discount if you are buying lighting fixtures. On the other hand, lumber is a low margin commodity.
So, do not expect a lot of VPP discount on your lumber purchase even if you are buying a large amount.
You are also likely to get bigger discounts on the private label brands of Home Depot such as Home Decorators Collection, HDX, Glacier Bay, Husky, Hampton Bay, and Vigoro, as Home Depot makes a higher profit margin on its own private label brands.
Tip: The initial quote you get back from the Pro Desk is not set in stone. You can haggle on that price to get a further discount. Depending on the items you are buying and how big your order is, you can get as much as a 20% discount if you are lucky.
For example, a Home Depot employee reported on Reddit that a customer got a 20% discount from the VPP for their purchase of TrafficMaster Allure GripStrip vinyl plank flooring.
12. Get Bulk Pricing Discount
If you are buying in bulk but your order does not quite reach the $1,500 threshold of the VPP discount (see the section above), you can try to take advantage of Home Depot’s bulk pricing.
The discounts on bulk pricing range from 5% to 30%. For example, this 1/2 inch x 10 feet Electric Metallic Tube (EMT) Conduit has a regular price of $4.98. But if you buy at least 10 of them, you would get a bulk price of $4.23, more than 15% off the regular price.
You can get bulk pricing both online and in-store.
- If you are shopping online, just go to the Bulk Pricing section and shop there.
- If you are in a Home Depot store, look for products with price tags that have the words “BULK PRICE” printed on the right side of the tags. You will see the bulk pricing discount and the volume requirement to get that discount.
13. Join Their Email List
If you sign up for the Home Depot Email List, you will get a “$5 off Your Next $50 Purchase” electronic coupon sent immediately to your inbox.
To join, go to the Email List homepage, fill in your name, email address, zip code, and mobile phone number. Click on the SIGN ME UP button and you will get your coupon at once.
Once you have joined the email list, you get discounts and deals from Home Depot in your inbox on a regular basis.
During the sign-up process, if you check the Yes! I want to join The Home Depot’s Promo Text Program checkbox just above the SIGN ME UP button, you will also receive special promotions and offers through text messaging.
Home Depot promises not to send more than 10 text messages to you per month. If you want to stop getting text messages, just text STOP to 65624 to opt-out. You can also call 1 (800) 553-3199 to talk to a customer service rep to opt out.
14. Get Coupon Booklet
The next time you are in a Home Depot store and before you buy anything, make sure you check around the entrance of the store or the cleaning supplies aisle to grab a Home Depot coupon booklet.
In that booklet, you will find dozens of coupons for all sorts of products that you can use right away in-store to get discounts on your purchases.
15. They Have Military Discounts
Home Depot offers a 10% military discount to all active-duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans, and their immediate families. For those in the above categories, this military discount is valid every day of the year.
Veterans who do not have a VA “service connected” disability rating are only eligible for the military discount during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day.
There are some restrictions for the military discounts:
- In-store Only: This discount is in-store only. You will not get military discounts for your online orders
- Participating Stores Only: Not all Home Depot stores offer military discounts. To find out if your store offers this discount, just ask
- $500 Max Order: This 10% discount is limited to order value to $500 or less. That means the maximum savings you get per order is $50. For example, if your order is $1,000, you only get a 10% discount on the first $500 of it for a total of $50 saving
- Limited Categories: This discount does not apply to installation products or services, gift cards, special buy appliances, and some commodities such as building materials
To claim the year-round military discounts, you must be an active-duty military member with proper military ID, a retired military member with proper ID, or a veteran with a “service connected” disability rating and a VA health care ID card with a “service connected” designation. You must present your relevant ID at checkout.
To claim the military discounts on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day, you must be an honorably discharged veteran with a valid DD Form 214. You must present your DD Form 214 at checkout.
Some veterans have reported being able to claim the military discount with a driver’s license featuring a veteran’s designation. But this depends on the location and may not work at all Home Depot stores.
16. Oops Paints Discount
Home Depot mix its own paints in its stores. Every now and then, the paints may not come out exactly right – either the tint is off, the texture is not quite right, or something else is not up to the standard.
When that happens, Home Depot will sell that paint as “Oops Paint” at a deep discount. All “Oops Paints” are marked down to $9 for a 1-gallon can, even if their regular prices are $30 or more.
Oops Paints are only available in stores. You can typically find the Oops Paints section in an out-of-the-way area of the paint department close to where the paint mixing is done. It may not be easy to find, so ask an associate where it is if you can’t find it.
17. Clearance Items at Aisle End Caps
This is another good way to find discounted items that are available in-store only.
Home Depot stores typically put shelves of discounted clearance items at the end caps of the aisles towards the middle of the store.
You will not find these clearance items online and they are heavily discounted – often by 50% or more. They tend to be a bit disorganized, so be prepared to roll up your sleeves and dig into the piles to hunt for treasures.
18. Check Holiday Clearance
Home Depot puts all holiday items on sale immediately after Christmas. You will see discounts of up to 50% on the day after Christmas.
A week later, after the new year, discounts will go up to 75%. If you can wait for 2 more weeks till mid-January, you can get discounts as high as 90%, but by that time the pickings are pretty slim.
You can typically find the holiday clearance section by the Pro Desk. If you do not mind buying holiday decors one year in advance, this is a great way to score big discounts on these items.
19. One Day Savings Discount
This is yet another discount that is only available in stores.
Every now and then, you will see big piles of products with “1-Day Savings” signs pop up inside a Home Depot store. These deals are not available online and they only last for 24 hours.
Typical items you will see in these “1-Day Savings” deals include storage bins, power tools, and coolers. You can expect discounts of up to 50%.
20. Free Wood Cutting
If you need to buy lumber, it is generally much cheaper to buy a large board of wood rather than several precut pieces. The good news is, Home Depot will cut any piece of lumber you bought there twice for free.
So, one way to save money on your lumber purchase is to buy a large board of wood and ask Home Depot to cut it for free. This way, you are in effect getting precut lumber pieces without paying the precut lumber premium.
21. Look for Leftover Wood
At the very back of the lumber section in every Home Depot store, you will find piles of untreated leftover raw lumber scraps that are deeply marked down.
These discounted wood pieces are only available in-store and you will not find them online. You can expect discounts of as much as 70%. All the clearance lumber is marked with purple.
22. Use Rebates for Appliances
If you are in the market for appliances such as fridges, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, gas ranges, range tops, and more, be sure to check out Home Depot’s online Rebate Center.
You can get the highest amount of rebates by buying multiple items at the same time in “packages” or “combos.”
For example, with this Profile Kitchen Hub 30 in. Smart 600 CFM Range Hood with Light in Stainless Steel, you can get up to $4,000 in rebates by combining it with select appliances from “Smarter Cooking Appliance Packages” and “Cafe Appliance Suite.”
23. Subscribe and Get 5% Discount
For replenishment items such as water filters, air filters, cleaning supplies, paper towels, and more, the Home Depot Subscription Service is a great way to get discounts.
By subscribing to a product, you get a 5% discount automatically. You also get free delivery for subscribed products with no purchase minimum.
You get to choose how often you receive your shipment. And you can go online anytime to pause or cancel your subscription without hassle. There is no membership fee required for this subscription service.
To take advantage of the subscription discount:
- Go to the Home Depot Subscription Service homepage
- Search for or browse products
- Click to the product page of the product you want to subscribe to
- Click the Subscribe and Get 5% Off radio button. You will then see the Add To Cart button changes to Subscribe as a result
- Select the frequency at which you want to receive your shipments – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 Months
- Click Subscribe
- You are all set
If you want to pause or cancel your subscription at any time:
- Go to the Home Depot My Account page
- Log in with your email address and password
- Click on My Account in the upper right corner of the screen
- In the drop down menu that appears, click on My Subscriptions
- Select the subscription(s) that you want to pause or cancel, update its status accordingly
- Hit Submit
- You are all set
24. Use Lowe’s Coupon in USPS Mover’s Packet
Every time you move and submit a Change of Address Notice to the Post Office, you will get a Mover’s Packet full of promotional deals and discount coupons from the Post Office.
That Mover’s Packet used to contain a 10% Off coupon from Home Depot. Unfortunately, Home Depot stopped giving out that coupon a while ago. But that does not mean you cannot still get the same discount at Home Depot.
The key here is that Home Depot will honor discount coupons from its competitors such as Lowe’s, Ace Hardware, True Value, Menards, and more.
The trick is to use Lowe’s 10% Off coupon, which is now included in the Mover’s Packet from the Post Office.
Bring that Lowe’s coupon to a Home Depot and they will price match it. This way, you will get a 10% discount at Home Depot. And the best part is, you will get to keep your Lowe’s coupon to use later at Lowe’s.
25. Discount Coupons on eBay
Go on eBay and you will find many discount coupons from Home Depot as well as its various competitors. You can buy these coupons at a very low cost and use them to get a sizable discount at Home Depot.
As we have seen in the section above, Home Depot will honor discount coupons from its competitors. That means when you buy discount coupons at eBay, you are not limited to those from Home Depot.
You can also buy discount coupons from retailers such as Lowe’s and Walmart and use them at Home Depot to get discounts.
Most of the coupons on eBay offer discounts in the range of 10% to 15%. The maximum amount of discount these coupons allow can be quite high, up to $200 in many cases.
Most of these coupons are being sold on auctions, with winning bids ranging from about $10 to close to $50.
To get an idea of the current market prices of these coupons, you can search for a list of recently sold auctions of coupons on eBay.
For example, this 15% Off In-Store Only Home Depot Coupon allows for a maximum discount of $200 and was sold for $22.50.
This lot of 20 10% Off In-Store Only Lowe’s Coupon, each coupon allowing a maximum of $500 discount for a total combined discount of $10,000, was sold for $10.20. You can use these Lowe’s coupons at Home Depot because of Home Depot’s price matching policy.
If you are doing a big remodeling project and plan on buying a lot of items at Home Depot, these coupons can potentially help you save a lot of money for a very low upfront cost.
26. Get Exempted from Sales Tax
If you work for a tax-exempt organization such as a school, charity, or place of worship and you are shopping at Home Depot for your organization, you can be exempted from paying sales tax on your purchase.
While getting exempted from sales tax may not seem like a big deal, it could lead to some significant savings.
According to the AARP, the average combined state and local sales tax in the US is 7.12%. That is higher than the 5% discount you get for a lot of bulk purchases at Home Depot.
For a $3,000 gas range, the sales tax alone would cost you more than $200 on average.
If you live in a high-tax area such as Chicago or Long Beach, you are looking at a 10.25% sale tax. 10.25% is even higher than the 10% military discounts offered by Home Depot.For a $3,000 gas range, that amounts to more than $300 in sales tax.
And it can go even higher than that. The top sales tax rate in the United States is 13.50%. For a $3,000 gas range, that amounts to more than $400 in sales tax.
Conveniently, Home Depot has set up a Tax Exempt Purchase program to make it easier for qualified people to shop at Home Depot in-store and online without being charged any sales tax.
To enroll, just go to the program homepage, click Register Online, and fill in the registration form with your information.
Once you are approved for the Tax Exempt Purchase program, you will be given a Home Depot Tax Exempt ID number.
You will not get any membership card, so you would need to memorize your Tax Exempt ID number in your head or write it down to keep it handy with you when you shop.
With a Home Depot Tax Exempt ID number, you will be able to avoid paying sales tax shopping at Home Depot both in-store and online.
If you are shopping in a store, just give your Tax Exempt ID number to the cashier at the checkout.
If you are shopping online, there will be an opportunity to enter your Home Depot Tax Exempt ID during the checkout process.
In either case, you will not be charged any sales tax as a result.
27. Buy Discounted Gift Cards
You can buy discounted gift cards on one of the many gift card marketplaces online and use those gift cards for purchases at Home Depot. This way, you will be getting a discount at Home Depot in effect.
Home Depot gift cards are highly in demand, so do not expect a lot of discounts with these gift cards. On most marketplaces, you will be getting around 1% off or less. However, there is one notable exception – CardCookie, where you will typically be getting a 5% discount:
- CardCookie: This place consistently has the best prices for Home Depot gift cards, which are typically on sale for 5% off
- Gift Card Granny: You usually get 1% off here for Home Depot gift cards
- Card Cash: Typical discount here is 1%
- Raise: Raise is a very popular gift card marketplace, but its discounts on Home Depot gift cards are pretty dismal. The typical discount here is 0.4%
Tip: Home Depot only allows a maximum of 10 gift cards per order, so plan your gift card denominations accordingly. For example, if you are going to buy a $2,000 gas range, do not buy 20 $100 gift cards as Home Depot will not accept 20 gift cards in 1 order. Instead, buy 10 $200 gift cards
28. Home Depot Consumer Credit Card
With the Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, you can get up to $100 off on your first purchase after you open a new card. But after that, you will not get any ongoing cash back or rewards.
So here is our recommendation – after you open your Home Depot credit card, use it to pay for one, and only one, Home Depot order.
The discount from this credit card for that first order is great. But after that, there are other credit cards that offer you a much better deal than this card.
- How To Apply: Apply here
- How To Get Discount: After you open this card, use it to pay for one order at Home Depot to get the one-time discount. You will only get this discount for your first purchase
- Annual Fee: $0
- One-Time Discount
- $25 off purchases of $25 – $299 (8% – 100% off)
- $50 off purchases of $300 – $999 (5% – 17% off)
- $100 purchases of $1,000 or more (up to 10% off)
- Ongoing Cash Back: None
The Target RedCard offers 5% cash back, but only for purchases at Target. You might wonder how that would help you to get discounts at Home Depot. The key here is that Target sells Home Depot gift cards.
The trick is to use the Target RedCard to buy Home Depot gift cards at Target. That way you get 5% off your gift card purchases. You can then use your Home Depot gift cards to shop at Home Depot, in effect getting a 5% discount at Home Depot.
You will also get a one-time bonus of $50 after you use this card to make a purchase of $100 or more for the first time.
So, if you use this card to buy a $100 Home Depot gift card the first time after you open your RedCard, you will get a 5% discount plus a $50 cash back. In total, you will be paying $45 for a $100 Home Depot gift card, effectively getting a 55% discount at Home Depot.
- How To Apply: Apply here
- How To Get Discount: Use this card to buy Home Depot gift cards at Target to get 5% cash back
- Annual Fee: $0
- One-Time Discount: $50 off a $100 qualifying purchase
- Ongoing Cash Back: 5% on purchases at Target in-store or online
Ink Business Cash Credit Card
The Ink Business Cash credit card is a business credit card from Chase that is one of the most lucrative you will find anywhere. With this card, you get 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable, and phone services each account anniversary year.
But how does that help you get discounts at Home Depot? The key, once again, is Home Depot gift cards.
Staples, which codes as an office supply store, sells Home Depot gift cards. The trick is to use your Ink Business Cash credit card to buy Home Depot gift cards at Staples. That way, you would get a 5% cash back on your Home Depot gift cards, in effect getting a 5% discount when you use those gift cards to shop at Home Depot.
In addition to the 5% cash back at office supply stores and on internet, cable, and phone services, you also get 2% cash back on purchases at gas stations and restaurants and 1% cash back on all other card purchases.
There is also a $750 bonus cash back after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
While this is a “business” credit card, you do not need to own a registered business such as an LLC or a corporation to apply.
If you sell things on the Internet (eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, Facebook, Poshmark, and more) or do any freelance works (writing, photography, Uber driving, etc), then you are in business on your own and can apply for this card.
On the application form, there is a section that asks what kind of business you have and what is your business tax ID number. You can just put down “sole proprietorship” as your business and your Social Security number as the tax ID number of your business.
- How To Apply: Apply here
- How To Get Discount: Use this card to buy Home Depot gift cards at Staples to get 5% cash back
- Annual Fee: $0
- One-Time Discount: $750 after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
- Ongoing Cash Back:
- 5% on purchases at office supply stores
- 5% on internet, cable, and phone services
- 2% on purchases at gas stations and restaurants
- 1% on everything else
29. Join Home Depot Garden Club
Go to the Home Depot Garden Club homepage to join. You just have to fill in your name, email address, zip code, and mobile phone number.
There is no requirement to join. You do not have to make any purchases. Once you hit submit, you will get a “$5 Off Your Next $50 Purchase” electronic coupon sent to you at your email address.
You can use that coupon on any Home Depot purchase as long as your order is at least $50. This coupon works on all purchases and not just on garden supplies.
After you have joined, you will continue to get coupons, discounts, and promotional offers sent to you by email and text messaging.
You will receive up to 10 text messages per month. If you want them to stop sending you messages, it is easy enough – just text STOP to 57227 or call 1 (800) 553-3199.
30. Dead Plants 1 Year Return Guarantee
If you buy a tree, perennial, house plant, or shrub at Home Depot, you get a 1-year guarantee. That means if your plant dies within 1 year of your initial purchase, you can dig it out and bring it back to Home Depot for a full refund.
This guarantee is a godsend for people who cannot seem to keep their plants alive. Now you can feel free to get a plant knowing that Home Depot has your back if you kill your plant.
This 1-year guarantee is only valid if you have the receipt of your original purchase. So, be sure to keep your Home Depot receipts for up to 1 year after purchase.
Otherwise, you will probably get rejected if you bring a dead plant to Home Depot with no receipt and ask for a refund.
31. Free DIY Workshop for Everyone
Home Depot offers a lot of free DIY workshops for both adults and kids. You and your kids can either attend in person or through live streaming.
All these workshops are free to attend. Just go to the DIY Workshops homepage, select a Home Depot store, and check out the workshop schedule of that store.
You can then either go to that store to attend the workshop in person or tune in to the live stream to attend virtually.
32. Home Depot Free Tool Repair
If you need to have a tool repaired and your tool is still under warranty, you will be able to get it repaired for free at Home Depot.
It does not matter where you have bought your tools – Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, Ace Hardware, or any other retailers. As long as your tool is still under warranty, you can bring it to Home Depot and an expert technician there will repair it for free.
Home Depot will even file a claim to the manufacturer of the tool on your behalf at no cost to you. It is truly cost-free and hassle-free.
And even better, all tool repairs by Home Depot are backed by a 90-day service warranty.