Walmart makes their return requirement and process as easy as possible for their customers, and that’s another reason why people like to shop at their store.
Walmart will issue a refund or replace your items if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase. Most of Walmart’s items fall under the 90 days exchange or return policy, with exceptions to certain items.
If your purchased item is over 90 days, 3 things can happen:
- Walmart will let you return as return without receipt
- Walmart will refuse the return (depends on the store manager)
- Walmart will issue you store credit of same value to the item
You can return items to Walmart using these methods:
- Return in store
- Return via online
- Return using Walmart app
- Return by scheduling pickup
- Return by mail (free)
- Return by scheduled pickup
Walmart will allow you to return even if your items do not have the original packaging or are damaged. Walmart also allows returns without a receipt, but there are requirements and limitations to avoid customers abusing the system.
Walmart does not have a restocking fee or any other fees for a no receipt return. All Walmart returns are free to you.
If returned items are damaged, Walmart may return the merchandise to the manufacturer for repair or offer you an exchange for another item. But this does not cost you anything.
How to Return Item to Walmart Store
- Bring the item you want to return to your local Walmart.
- Make sure to take a government-issued ID with you.
- Make sure the item is in the original packaging and the barcode on it can still be scanned.
- Go to the customer service desk and ask them to begin a return for you.
You can make a return in-store at Walmart whenever the store is open. Most Walmart locations are open from 7 am to 10 pm every day, and the customer service desks are usually located at the front of the store near one of the entrances.
How to Return Items to Walmart Online
- Log in to your Walmart account (or create one)
- Click your account in the upper right corner
- Select Account
- Find the item and select Start a Return, or select See Details and then Return or Replace.
- Select the reason for return
- Select Return to Store (if available)
- Click Finish
- Print Barcode and bring the item with the printed barcode in store
How to Return Items on Walmart App
You can now return items to Walmart by their Mobile Express Return. The process start within the app and ends at returning the item at the store. The app is free and here is the link to download them:
Walmart App for iOS | Walmart App for Android
- Log in to your account using the app
- From the menu, tap on Account
- Tap Purchase History
- Find the order to return and tap Start a Return
- Choose the item and reason for the return, tap Continue
- Select Refund or Replacement, tap Continue
- On return method, select Mobile Express Returns
- Tap Accept and Finish
Please note that you can not return items to Walmart that were sold by 3rd party. To return to 3rd party sellers, check out the “How to Return Walmart Marketplace Items” section below.
How to Schedule a Walmart Return Pickup
If there is FedEx near you that offers a small parcel pickup service, you can return items that you bought on walmart.com using Carrier Pickup by FedEx. It is free and you can use either the Walmart website or app to start the process.
- Log in to your Account
- Go to Purchase History
- Choose the item and reason for the return, tap Continue
- On return method, choose Carrier Pickup by FedEx
- Choose the date you want for the pickup
How to Return Items to Walmart by Mail
- Log in to your Walmart account
- On your initials in the top right corner, click on Account
- Click on Start a Return
- Choose the items you want to return
- Choose the return reason
- Choose “Return”
- Select Return by Mail
- Print out the return label and drop it off at an USPS or Fedex location
It normally takes 2-3 weeks and it’s recommended that you insure your item because Walmart will not process the refund if the package is lost during shipping.
How to Return Walmart Marketplace Items
You can return 3rd party seller items purchased at Walmart to any Walmart location if your item is eligible. However, some items must be returned to the same store they were purchased from and managers can use discretion to turn away specific items from their store.
Tip: Tires can only be returned to Walmart locations with a Tire & Lube Express.
And only Walmart items can be returned to Walmart. Items purchased from Walmart resellers need to be returned to that reseller.
- Log in to your Walmart Account
- Verify the type of return window (14 or 30 days)
- If the item is eligible for return, the store will provide shipping label
- Package your item and drop it off at FedEx
Walmart can track orders purchased in the Walmart app or walmart.com and some shoppers report that Walmart tracks their purchases in-store through their credit cards. So, Walmart can know what you bought in store based on your credit card history.
Walmart can look up receipts based on the time of sale, location/register used, and receipt total. You can use the Walmart Store Receipt Lookup online to find past receipts, but this tool only works for credit or debit purchases.
Walmart Return Original Packaging & Damaged Item
You need the item in the original packaging to return at Walmart. Most items should be in new condition for returns at Walmart. This is because the packaging contains a barcode that the customer service agent scans to look up the item and confirm that it is sold at Walmart. If your item’s packaging is opened, it can still be returned as long as the barcode is intact.
Important: If your item is damaged, it can Not be return in store. Instead, you can return it via mail.
Some items must be unused to be returned to Walmart. For example, perfumes, nail polish, aerosol cans, and air mattresses have to be unused and in the original packaging to be eligible for a return. Exceptions are made if these items are defective or damaged.
Additionally, items like CDs, DVDs, and video games must be returned unopened or they must prove to be defective. If they are defective, you’ll be able to exchange them for the same item (or something similar if the exact item is out of stock).1
Benjamin is a certified financial advisor, with over 10 years of experience in the industry. He is knowledgeable about various business and financial topics, such as retirement planning and investment management. Ben has been recognized for his work in the financial planning industry. He has also been featured in various publications.