We all love shopping for new phones. But what to do with the old ones? It would be great to be able to sell them or to trade them in the way we sell or trade in a used car.
That way, we could reduce electronic wastes and make some money in the process. The question is – where can you sell or trade in your used phone?
Walmart will buy your phones through their trade in program or ecoATM kiosk. You can trade your phone online for credit between $50-$300 immediately, or for a Walmart gift card using the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program. You can also sell your phone for cash up to $300 at a Walmart store using an ecoATM kiosk.
Whether you decide to trade in or sell your phone, it is important that you backup your data such as your photos or videos.
You will not lose access to them once you hand over your phone to the buyer. In addition, make sure you wipe your phone clean by resetting it to its factory settings.
This is critical for preventing identity fraud and protecting your privacy.
Before you sell or trade in your phone, whether online or in person, you should do 2 things:
- Back Up Your Data – Make sure you copy the personal data you have on your phone to somewhere else. You do not want to lose access to your photos and videos after you sell your phone
- Wipe Your Phone Clean – Make sure you wipe your phone clean by resetting it to its default factory settings. This is important for protecting your privacy. Every phone manufacturer has brand-specific instructions on how to wipe its phones clean. Search online for the instructions for your phone
2 Ways To Sell Your Used Phone to Walmart
If you are interested in selling or trading in your phone, Walmart offers not just 1 but 2 ways for you to do so. You can do it either online or in person:
- Online: Walmart partners with the trade-in solution provider CExchange to offer an online trade in program called the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program. You can go online to get a price quote for the trade-in value of your phone. If you accept that quote, you can then print out a prepaid shipping label and send in your phone by FedEx Ground. Once the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program has received and evaluated your phone, you will receive a Walmart gift card electronically
- In Person: If you want to get cash instead of a gift card for your phone, you can bring it to a Walmart store and use an ecoATM kiosk there. The ecoATM kiosk will scan your phone, determine its model and condition, and gives you a price quote accordingly. If you accept your price quote, the machine will spit out money right there and then
In the next 2 sections, we will go over these 2 methods in more detail.
Walmart Trade-In Program Online
The Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program is an online gadget trade-in program offered by Walmart in partnership with the trade-in solution provider CExchange.
On average, Walmart will offer $50 to $300 credit for your phones that are not damaged. Some of the trade in value examples include: (Source: Walmart.com)
|Brand||Model||Train in Value|
|Samsung||Galaxy S III||$175|
One thing to keep in mind about this program is that you do not get cash for your phone. You only get a Walmart gift card. So, if you are looking for cash, move on.
To get cash for your phone, you should check out the ecoATM kiosks located at Walmart stores. We will cover those kiosks in the next section.
Also, keep in mind that the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program does not just accept phone trade-ins. You can also trade in other types of gadgets. All in all, the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program accepts:
- Cell phones
- Game Consoles
- Voice Speakers
To trade in your phone for a Walmart gift card using the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program homepage
- Click on the Cell Phones icon in the upper right corner of the screen
- Select the Manufacturer of your phone (e.g., Apple, or Samsung)
- Select the Model of your phone (e.g., iPhone 11)
- Select the specific configuration of your phone (e.g., iPhone 11 Pro Max – 256 GB)
- Enter the condition of your phone – working or broken? Charger included? Carrier or unlocked?
- Get an instant offer for your phone
- If you accept the offer, you will get an email with a prepaid shipping label. Print out that label and use it to send in your phone through FedEx Ground
- After the Walmart Gadgets to Gift Cards program has received and evaluated your phone, you will receive your Walmart gift card electronically
ecoATM Kiosks at Walmart Store
The online trade-in program described in the section above will only give you Walmart gift cards for your phones. If you want cash for your phones, you would need to go to a Walmart store in person and use an ecoATM kiosk there.
The ecoATM kiosk is a machine that takes a used gadget like a phone and gives you cash based on the brand, model, and condition of the gadget you put in.
ecoATM kiosks accept 3 types of gadgets:
- Cell phones
- MP3 players
Before you visit a Walmart store to use the ecoATM kiosk there, make sure you do 2 things first:
- Find a Walmart store with an ecoATM kiosk
- Get an online price quote from ecoATM for your phone
Step 1. Get an Price Quote for Your Phone
Before taking the time to go to a Walmart store to use the ecoATM kiosk there, you may want to get an idea of how much money you will get for your phone.
Conveniently, you can do that by getting an online price quote for your phone on the ecoATM website.
To get an online price quote from ecoATM, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the ecoATM price quote website
- Enter the brand of your phone (e.g., Apple)
- From the Cell Phone drop-down menu, select the model of your phone (e.g., iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Select the capacity of your phone (e.g. 256 GB)
- Choose the carrier of your phone (e.g. T-Mobile or Unlocked)
- Enter the condition of your phone – Power on or not? Screen working? Any cracks?
- Enter your zip code as your price quote may vary depending on your location
- You will get an instant price quote online
- If you find this price quote acceptable, you can then visit your chosen Walmart store to use the ecoATM kiosk there
Step 2. Find a Walmart Location With an ecoATM Kiosk
To find a Walmart close to you that has an ecoATM kiosk on its premises, follow the instruction below:
- Go to the ecoATM kiosk online locator
- Enter your zip code
- You will see a list of locations near you that has ecoATM kiosks
- Not all of those locations are Walmart stores. Many other national retailers such as Kroger and Dillons also have ecoATM kiosks in their stores
- Pick a Walmart store (or a store of some other retailer if you like) from the list
Step 3. Sell Your Phone Using an ecoATM Kiosk
Before you visit your chosen Walmart store, make sure you bring with you 2 things:
- Your phone – make sure it is charged
- A government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license
To sell your phone at a Walmart ecoATM kiosk, follow the instructions below:
- Go to your chosen Walmart and find an ecoATM kiosk there. The kiosks are typically located in the doorways of the store where you pick up a shopping cart
- Touch the screen of the ecoATM kiosk to start
- You will be asked to insert your government photo ID into the kiosk to validate your identity
- You will be prompted to answer several questions about both you and your device including its model and condition
- The ecoATM will then print out a QR code sticker. Attach the sticker to the back of your phone
- Put your phone on the scanner of the kiosk. The kiosk will scan and identify your phone
- Once the kiosk has identified your phone, you will be given a power cord. Connect the cord to your phone and put your phone back onto the kiosk
- The kiosk will then inspect your phone
- You will then be asked to put your thumb on a fingerprint scanner. The kiosk will scan your thumbprint and use it as your e-signature
- The kiosk will give you a price quote based on the brand, model, and condition of your phone
- If you accept the quote, the kiosk will dispense the cash to you right there and then. If you decline the quote, your phone will be returned to you