Walmart make their return requirement and process as easy as possible for their customers, and that’s another reason why people like to shop at their store. Walmart will issue a refund or replace your items if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase. Most of Walmart’s items falls under the 90 days exchange or return policy, with exceptions to certain items.
If your purchased item is over 90 days, 3 things can happen:
- Walmart will let you return as return without receipt
- Walmart will refuse the return (depends on the store manager)
- Walmart will issue you store credit of same value to the item
You can return items to Walmart using these methods:
- Return in store
- Return via online
- Return using Walmart app
- Return by scheduling pickup
- Return by mail (free)
- Return by scheduled pickup
Walmart will allow you to return even if your items does not have original packaging or are damaged. Walmart also allow returns without receipt, but there are requirements and limitations to avoid customers abusing the system.
Walmart does not have a restocking fee or any other fees for a no receipt return. All Walmart returns are free to you.
If returned items are damaged, Walmart may return the merchandise to the manufacturer for repair or offer you an exchange for another item. But this does not cost you anything.
How to Return Item to Walmart Store
- Bring the item you want to return to your local Walmart.
- Make sure to take a government-issued ID with you.
- Make sure the item is in the original packaging and the barcode on it can still be scanned.
- Go to the customer service desk and ask them to begin a return for you.
You can make a return in store at Walmart whenever the store is open. Most Walmart locations are open from 7 am to 10 pm every day, and the customer service desks are usually located at the front of the store near one of the entrances.
How to Return Items to Walmart Online
- Log in to your Walmart account (or create one)
- Click your account in the upper right corner
- Select Account
- Find the item and select Start a Return, or select See Details and then Return or Replace.
- Select the reason for return
- Select Return to Store (if available)
- Click Finish
- Print Barcode and bring the item with the printed barcode in store
How to Return Items on Walmart App
You can now return items to Walmart by their Mobile Express Return. The process start within the app and ends at returning the item at the store. The app is free and here is the link to download them:
- Log in to your account using the app
- From the menu, tap on Account
- Tap Purchase History
- Find the order to return and tap Start a Return
- Choose the item and reason for the return, tap Continue
- Select Refund or Replacement, tap Continue
- On return method, select Mobile Express Returns
- Tap Accept and Finish
Please note that you can not return items to Walmart that was sold by 3rd party. To return to 3rd party sellers, check out “How to Return Walmart Marketplace Items” section below.
How to Schedule a Walmart Return Pickup
If there are FedEx near you that offers small parcel pickup service, you can return items that you bought on walmart.com using Carrier Pickup by FedEx. It is free and you can use either walmart website or app to start the process.
- Log in to your Account
- Go to Purchase History
- Choose the item and reason for the return, tap Continue
- On return method, choose Carrier Pickup by FedEx
- Choose the date you want for the pickup
How to Return Items to Walmart by Mail
- Log in to your Walmart account
- On your initials in the top right corner, click on Account
- Click on Start a Return
- Choose the items you want to return
- Choose the return reason
- Choose “Return”
- Select Return by Mail
- Print out the return label and drop it off at an USPS or Fedex location
It normally takes 2-3 weeks and it’s recommended that you insure your item because Walmart will not process the refund if the package is lost during shipping.
How to Return Walmart Marketplace Items
You can return 3rd party seller items purchased at Walmart to any Walmart location if your item is eligible. However, some items must be returned to the same store they were purchased from and managers can use discretion to turn away specific items from their store.
Tip: Tires can only be returned to Walmart locations with a Tire & Lube Express.
And only Walmart items can be returned to Walmart. Items purchased from Walmart resellers need to be returned to that reseller.
- Log in to your Walmart Account
- Verify the type of return window (14 or 30 days)
- If the item is eligible for return, the store will provide shipping label
- Package your item and drop it off at FedEx
Walmart can track orders purchased in the Walmart app or walmart.com and some shoppers report that Walmart tracks their purchases in store through their credit cards. So, Walmart can know what you bought in store based on your credit card history.
Walmart can look up receipts based on the time of sale, location/register used, and receipt total. You can use the Walmart Store Receipt Lookup online to find past receipts, but this tool only works for credit or debit purchases.
Walmart Return Original Packaging & Damaged Item
You need the item in the original packaging to return at Walmart. Most items should be in new condition for returns at Walmart. This is because the packaging contains a barcode that the customer service agent scans to look up the item and confirm that it is sold at Walmart. If your item’s packaging is opened, it can still be returned as long as the barcode is intact.
Important: If your item is damaged, it can Not be return in store. Instead, you can return it via mail.
Some items must be unused to be returned at Walmart. For example, perfumes, nail polish, aerosol cans, and air mattresses have to be unused and in the original packaging to be eligible for a return. Exceptions are made if these items are defective or damaged.
Additionally, items like CDs, DVDs, and video games must be returned unopened or they must prove to be defective. If they are defective, you’ll be able to exchange them for the same item (or something similar if the exact item is out of stock).
Does Walmart Accept Returns without Receipt?
I’ve made many purchases at Walmart that I thought I loved and thrown away the receipt only to later realize I needed to return it. I have visited Walmart’s customer service desk several times over the years about returns, and almost every time I have lost the receipt or thrown it away. However, I’ve still been able to return almost everything at Walmart without a receipt. Here’s what I’ve learned about Walmart’s return policy for returns without a receipt.
Walmart accepts returns without a receipt for either an exchange or a cash refund. Shoppers can make a return at Walmart without a receipt for cash for most items under $25. However, items valued over $25 can only be exchanged for store credit or a store gift card.
Walmart does limit which items you can get a refund for without a receipt. Some items, like computers and DVDs, do need a receipt. And unfortunately, since COVID-19 Walmart is temporarily restricting the items you can return like food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, laundry soap, pharmacy, health and beauty and apparel, but you should still try to get a return.
Walmart Return Policy for No Rreceipt
Items for no receipt return must be purchased from Walmart or Walmart.com directly, not dealers or resellers. Additionally, to submit a return without a receipt in store you’ll need a valid government-issued photo ID like your driver’s license or a military ID. Your ID will be stored in their system to keep track of how often you submit returns.
Typically, you also cannot wait too long to return an item to Walmart. Walmart items without a receipt must be returned within 90 days within the time of your purchase, and some items have deadlines as little as 15 days from your purchase.
Eligible Items for Return without Receipt
Some Walmart products can only be returned with a receipt. Products that cannot be returned at Walmart include:
Additionally, Walmart currently has restrictions on returns due to COVID-19. Temporarily, you cannot return many foods, paper goods, cleaning supplies, laundry soap, pharmacy, health and beauty and apparel items with or without a receipt.
However, any items not listed above you can return to Walmart without a receipt.
Refund at Walmart without Receipt
If you return an item in store at Walmart, the refund is instantaneous. However, you cannot always get refunds posted to your credit card or debit card when returning items without a receipt.
Walmart’s cash refunds without a receipt are only available for items under $25. You cannot get a cash refund at Walmart without a receipt for items that are valued at $25 or more. If you want to return items over $25 without a receipt at Walmart, then you will get store credit in the form of a Walmart gift card.
Additionally, even if you do have the receipt for your item you also need the original debit or credit card with you to have the funds refunded to your card. If you don’t have the debit or credit card you used to purchases the item with you, then you will get a cash refund for items under $25 or a gift card for items over $25.
Walmart Return No Receipt Limit
Walmart has a limit to your returns without a receipt to 3 times within 45 days. Walmart tracks how many returns you make using your government-issued ID. They will store information on your ID in their system to keep track of how many returns you make.
You will not get banned from Walmart for attempting to return more than three items within 45 days, but you will get turned down. And, if you repeatedly try to break the three no receipt returns within 45 days policy, you may get a warning from the store manager.
You can get a refund at Walmart without a receipt. However, Walmart does have restrictions for what items, and the price of what items, you can return without a receipt. And, some rules vary by location. When making a return at Walmart without a receipt, keep in mind that:
- You can only get cash refunds without a receipt for items under $25
- Items valued over $25 can be returned for store credit
- Items must be returned within 90 days of purchase
- You will need the items in the original packaging
- You will need a government-issued ID to make a return without a receipt
- You can only return up to 3 items without a receipt every 45 days
- Some items, like firearms, are never elidable for return at Walmart
- If you’ve lost your receipt but you paid with a card, try looking up the receipt online with Walmart Receipt Lookup