Credit cards are quite different from debit cards when it comes to getting cash back at checkout. In most cases, you will not be able to get cash back when you use a credit card to pay for a purchase at a Walmart store.
Walmart does not allow cash back on most credit cards during your purchase. You can take money out as a form of credit card cash advance, but this will cause high interest rate to occur.
Cash Back with Cash Advance
Without immediate cash back, it is still possible to get access to cash with a credit card. The most common way to do so is by using the card’s cash advance feature.
To get a cash advance, find an ATM and insert your credit card into the machine. Type in your PIN and select cash advance from the menu. Enter your cash advance amount and take your cash.
Alternatively, if you forget your credit card PIN or if your credit card does not come with a PIN, you can take your credit card to a bank branch that offers cash advances through your card’s payment network, such as Mastercard or Visa.
You will have to bring some form of government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or a passport to prove your identity.
Just keep in mind that credit card cash advances typically come with very high fees plus very high interest rates. For example, a typical cash advance fee is the greater of $10 or 5%. So, if you take out $100 in cash advance, you will have to pay $10 in fee right away.
There is the cash advance interest. Your cash advance starts accruing interest the second you receive the cash rather than at the end of the billing cycle that is common with purchases made on credit cards.
Bottom line, credit card cash advances are very expensive. Think twice before using it.
Cash Back Using Discover Card
While most credit cards do not offer immediate cash back when you make a purchase, there are still some exceptions. Discover Card is one of the very few such exceptions – it allows you to get immediate cash back at stores through its “Cash Over” benefit.
Walmart accepts Discover Card at its stores and participates in Discover’s “Cash Over” program. You can get up to $100 in cash back when you use a Discover Card to pay for your purchase at a Walmart.
The best part with Discover Cash Over is, unlike credit card cash advances, you will not be charged an upfront fee. Also, you will not be charged any interest as long as you pay your Discover Card balance in full before the payment deadline. In other words, Discover Cash Over is an interest-free loan.
Using a Discover Card to get Cash Back
- Ring up your purchases at a register or self-checkout station as usual
- When you are asked to choose a payment method, select Credit Card and insert your Discover Card into the card reading machine
- The card reading machine will then ask if you want cash back. Select Yes and choose your cash back amount. Unlike debit card cash back, there is no need to enter a PIN to get cash back with Discover Card’s Cash Over. If the machine does not ask you if you want cash back, talk to the cashier or a Walmart associate about getting cash back
- After your transaction is authorized, you will get your cash back from either the cashier or the self-checkout machine. Your Discover Card account will be debited the amount of your purchase plus the amount of your cash back. If you pay off your balance in full before the payment deadline, your cash back will not accrue any interest
Limits of Discover Card’s Cash Over
There are 2 limits you need to be aware of:
- Discover Card’s Daily Limit: Discover Card has a limit of $120 in cash back per 24 hour period
- Walmart’s per Transaction Limit: You can go over $100 limit by making multiple purchases, but you still will not be able to go over the $120 limit set by Discover Card
Cash Back Using a Walmart Credit Card
Another method of cash back is by obtaining a Walmart credit card. When you are approved and receive the credit card, you will obtain a $25 statement credit assuming you purchased at least $25 worth of items on the same day.
For example, if you sign up for the Walmart credit card, get through the approval process, and purchase $30 worth of items on that card the same day, you will only be charged for $5. This is because of the $25 statement credit from Walmart.
Here are 4 ways to get cash back with Walmart credit card:
- At the checkout register: When you pay for an item using a Walmart credit card, you’re able to withdraw up to $100. This is a purchase and will not count as a cash advance, so it’s convenient and free.
- When you make Walmart purchases online: (either delivery or pickup)
- 5% cash back when you make an online purchase at Walmart.com.
- 2% cash back from in-store purchases
- 2% cash back from Walmart gas (Murphy USA)
- 1% on all purchases from any stores where Walmart Mastercard is accepted
- Use Walmart Pay: When you first obtain a Walmart credit card, you will get a nice 5% discount on Walmart purchases. This will last for 12 months counting from the day you got your Walmart credit card.
- At an ATM: Your Walmart credit card will let you withdraw up to $200 at ATM, with a monthly limit which is on your Walmart credit card statement. However, this is the least recommended way as there are high fees and high interest rate.
The Walmart credit card does carry a monthly operating fee that is usually from $3 to $5 regardless whether you have used the card or not for purchases.
When using the Walmart credit card, they do charge an interest rate that ranges from 17.99% up to 26.99%. Normally, Walmart has a lower interest rate for the first six to twelve months after you have obtained the card. You can avoid the interest rate if you pay off the card by the end of each month.
Cash Back with Reward Program
Many credit cards offer cash back as a benefit, but that is a different kind of cash back. The typical credit card cash back is a reward program that gives the cardholder a percentage of the amount of money they spend on purchases using that card.
For example, the Chase Freedom Flex credit card offers 3% cash back on dining purchases at restaurants. That means if you use your Chase Freedom Flex card to pay for a $100 dinner at a restaurant, you will get a $3 cash back.
However, you will not receive any cash. You will only receive your money in the form of credits applied to your credit card accounts at the end of each payment cycle.
As you can see, this type of delayed “cash back” commonly offered by credit cards is very different from the immediate cash back that is the subject of this article.
Can You Get Cash Back at Walmart with a Credit Card?
You can not get cash back with a credit card at Walmart. If you want to get cash back at Walmart, you can use debit cards, self checkout or a personal check. If credit cards are the only thing you have at the time of making a purchase, you can take money out as a cash advance.